Thursday, December 8, 2011

Baby's Got Back!

I have a particular love affair with stylish seating..although I can probably say that same statement about any type of furniture...But this post is about chairs, so I'll stick with that for today :)  One trend in seating I am obsessing over is the contrast backs.  That is an unofficial term for this style, but I like it and will use it ..if you do..please 'footnote' me after using it..just kidding of course!  Since pictures speak more than words, this is what I mean by 'contrast backs'...


One of my favorite examples of this look is in this chair aabove.  I love the pattern on pattern and the colors.  So pretty!  Sure it's not for everyone and it makes quite a statement in a room, but for the daring I think it's a DO :)



I feel like this is a great way to add an unexpected pop of pattern (or maybe just color) to any space.  It's not too much that it overwhelms the chair or the overall design.  Also, since it's just a small portion of the chair, it's a very inexpensive way to add new life to the room or just that particular piece of furniture.  If you're a daring DIY'er, you can totally tackle this one yourself.  Or for a fraction of the cost of a full reupholstery, a professional can do the job for you.  If you're anything like me and you like to change big and little details in your home as often as you change your socks..this is the perfect piece to switch out every season or every style change..as that is ever evolving for me!
As with most areas of design, there are no rules to how to add a fun bit of accent to the chair.  It looks amazing to have it just on the back rest (front side), like this chair with the fab vintage text in gold..LOVE!

The monogram on the back of these gorgeous lavender chairs is a perfect touch:

I just HAD to include this example as well since it's so fun! 


Using a simple or crisp color scheme, the contrast back style can be beautifully applied to an entire dining set without looking busy or garish.  I love the well appointed look of this set and room:

What do you think of the idea of a Contrast Back (or front)?  Would you apply this look to a piece(s) in your home?  We would love to hear your feedback!  Visit us on facebook to join the conversation, click on  the link below to take you there:










No comments:

Post a Comment