Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Top Five Flooring Faves - DIY Edition



In light of yesterday's post, where I showed you how I solved a flooring design dilemma with just $2, I decided to share with you some of my other fave ideas for DIY rugs.  Lucky for me, I still have a few more flooring faux pas I have to deal with before I allow company over, so you can bet I will be puting some (or all) of these to work.  When I do, i'll share the results and how to here with lots of pics!

First up, is this great DIY felt rug brought to you by ReadyMade.com:

Tutorial Link:
http://www.readymade.com/projects/felt_rug

Wool felt is amazing to work with and incredibly durable.  However, it's not the cheapest fab either.  Wool felt is different than your typical craft felt, which is an acrylic felt.  I can only find wool felt in quilt shops and occasionally in your chain fabric store like Jo-Anns.  The other great plus to the wool felt are the colors it comes in.  There are a lot of great shades, not your standard rainbow.  It's a natural fiber of course, therefore you can call yourself 'green'..'green'=enviromentally concious chic :)  I would imagine that acrylic felt would work if you used that stiff kind.  The regular acrylic wouldn't be a good option since you will get little 'peelies' all over it right away and it's just not as durable.

This next one would be fun for a kid's room or bathroom.  Lion Brand Yarn's DIY 'Grass' rug, via Craftzine!
Tutorial Link:  http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/05/how-to_crochet_or_knit_grass_r.html

WARNING: This requires skill in knitting or crocheting..or your grandma/sweet old lady down the street.  Unfortunately,  I don't have any of these 'ingredients' available to me where I am currently livivng, so stay tuned for my hack tutorial on this one.  I have a few ideas in mind on how to achieve this same look minus the knitting skills I should have been tought as a child....

I am sooooo in love with this DIY via HandmadeCharlotte.com.."Rope Twirl Rug"

Tutorial Link: http://www.handmadecharlotte.com/

Ummm...HOLY CUTENESS!  Endless possibilities here.  I originally thought I would do this in either a square or round shape for my twin girls' room, but then I came up with another idea (not related to this one at all) that I will be doing there (more to come on that in another post).  But this would be fun to do in any kid space, or as a wall hanging, or even a table runner.  Customize the colors as you would like!

This is a MUST-DO for my Family Room or mabey the Living Room..from the DIY diva at VintageRevivals.blogspot.com:


Dosn't this look so expensive?!  Trick your friends and neighbors into thinking you know about the hottest rug boutique in town and dropped some 'Benjamins" to get this rug-a-licious dream :)

This last one is so simple, 'Woodgrain Chic'..from ABeautifulMess:


I want to do this for my porch in fall and/or winter.  I might be thinking crazy here, but I sort of want to layer this on top of a rug made from green astroturf.....  hmm..would this be 'Retirement home chic' if I did the layering?...  that isn't exactly the look i'm going for (although my husband is 10 1/2 years older than me ;) )!

There you have it, my Top 5 Flooring Faves!  Which one is your favorite? 


No comments:

Post a Comment